Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Interview with Author Lori Brighton


Hello Lori, Thank you for doing this interview.

1. Did you always want to be a writer or did you realize it later on?

Later on. I’ve always had a vivid imagination, and often made up stories, I just didn’t write them down. Honestly, the whole grammar/rules turned me off and I found English class to be rather boring when I was in school. So I just assumed I wasn’t cut out for writing. It wasn’t until I was in my twenties that I decided to try and write my own romance novel.

2. Do you do anything other than write?

This is the first year in which I can say that writing is my full time job! lol. I had quit my museum job a long time ago to stay at home with my son, which gave me time to write. Now that he’s in school, I can focus more on my writing. But this is the first year in which I’m actually making a salary.

3. What do you like to do when you have down time?

Honestly, most of my time is spent writing. My computer is always on. But when I’m not writing, I’m usually spending time with my family. We like to hike and travel. We travel as much as we can, tending to visit places along the beach, or historical cities.

4. Do have a favorite author that inspires you?

There are so many! But when I was sixteen I read my first romance novel and that’s what hooked me, that’s what made me want to write my own book later on. It was a Julie Garwood historical romance and I totally fell in love. So you could definitely say she’s my favorite.

5. Do you have a favorite place you like to go to think when you are working on a story?

Traveling definitely gives me new ideas. But when I’m at home the best place is in my office. It’s full of inspirational things and it’s nice and quiet. Sadly, I love T.V. and so I often have my laptop and am parked on the couch in front of the T.V.

6. You write several different types of stories do you prefer one style to the other?

No, not really. I love every subgenre, which is why I decided to write them all! I want to write some contemporary romance too, that way I’ll truly hit them all. lol. The one thing they all have in common is romance. But to answer your question I usually prefer whichever genre I’m writing at the moment.  

7. I just finished reading The Ghost Hunter; did you know when you started writing that book it was going to be a series?

Yes, I usually plan my books to be series because I think readers like a series more than a standalone book. I know I do. So I usually plan to have 2 to 3 books per series.

8. Where do you come up with the characters for your books?

No idea! They just come to me. I might get an idea from a newstory, or historical place. I try to make my characters different in each book, so I might write an alpha male in one book and a more beta in another.

9. Are the places in your stories similar of places you’ve traveled to or would like to?

Yes, I’m always placing my books in cities I’ve visited, or would like to. You’ll find most of my historicals in England because that’s what readers like and that’s what I like! I’m working on my third book for my Mind Readers series and it takes place partly in Savannah; I love that city!

10. What is next for you?

I’m hoping to finish up book 3 in my Mind Readers series by Mid Sept. I’m also working on the second book in my Seduction Series, a historical romance for Amazon’s Montlake publishing. Then I’ll be starting a new YA series. And I have more paranormal romance in the works as well! A little of everything!

Again thank you for taking the time to do this interview. Also currently Ghost Hunter and book 1 in the Mind Readers series are free ebooks so make sure you check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment