Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Review of Ms America and the Offing on Oahu by Diana Dempsey


  • BN ID: 2940012941282
  • Publisher: Diana Dempsey
  • Publication date: 6/9/2011
  • Sold by: Barnes & Noble
  • Format: eBook
  • Sales rank: 16,322
  • Series: Beauty Queen Mysteries , #1
  • File size: 286 KB

Before I start this review I feel I need to state that I hate doing a bad review! Especially when it's an indie or lesser known author. I'm fully supportive of people following there dreams to become a full time author; however sometimes there is no way around it. Plus I want my readers to respect my suggestions. With no further ado on with the review! 

When I got this book I was thinking it would be a campy Miss Congeniality style book, sadly this is not what I had! This book is longer then it needs to be, and drags horribly. Not to mention the lead characters first name is Happy. I kid you not that is her actual name, that just make her more of a joke. She is also a prude. She is astonished to find out that her fellow beauty queens are having affairs. 

I should back up a little and explain that this Ms. America competition is for aging beauty queens. That's right not those fresh out of high school girls, these are girls in there 30's married with kids. Happy wants the prize money so she can send her daughter to collage whether she wants to go or not. Then send her husband to pit school whether he wants to or not. 

Luckily for Happy someone kills the favorite to win, so she is crowned Ms. America! She then decides that she has to investigate her fellow pageant contestants murder even if it puts her in danger. I also don't know why she bothered the more you learn about the dead contestant the more you feel it served her right!! 

All in all what I thought was going to be an easy fast pace book just turned out to be drawn out and boring. The book is also very predictable. Other then the cute cover art I really don't see a redeeming quality in this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment